Listed are a small range of resources available to Family Historians
Local Studies Centre at Burton Library
The Burton Family and Local History Centre on the ground floor of the Burton Library has the following resources available to study:
Anglican Parish Registers
Microfiche copies of Staffordshire parish registers in the former registration district of Burton upon Trent are available on microfiche. These include: Anslow; Barton under Needwood; Burton-upon Trent, All Saints, Christ Church, Holy Trinity, St Aidan, St Margaret, St Modwen, St Paul; Dunstall; Hanbury; Horninglow; Rolleston; Stretton with Claymills; Tatenhill; Tutbury; Wychnor; and Yoxall.
Microfiche copies of bishops transcripts of Derbyshire parish registers in the former registration district of Burton are available as follows: Church Gresley; Rosliston; Stapenhill.
Microfiche copies of nonconformist registers for a large number of chapels within the Burton-upon-Trent Methodist circuits and for other nonconformist chapels are available.
Census Returns and Indexes
Census returns are available on microfilm for parishes in the former registration district of Burton-upon-Trent, 1841-1891. The 1901 census returns are accessible online. The census returns for Staffordshire and Derbyshire for 1861 are available on CD ROM. The surname index to the 1851 census index for Burton is available on microfiche.
International Genealogical Index
Available on microfiche for the whole of the British Isles.
Monumental inscriptions on microfiche are available for the following parishes: Anslow; Dunstall; Rangemore; Rolleston; Tatenhill; Wychnor
Microfiche copies of electoral registers for Offlow North are available for the years 1832-1836. This is a large geographical area and covers: Alrewas, Alrewas Hay, Anslow, Barton-under- Needwood, Branston, Bromley Regis (Kings Bromley), Burton-on-Trent, Burton Extra, Clifton Campville and Haunton, Curborough and Elmhust, Draycott, Dunstall, Edingale, Fisherwick, Fradley, Hamstall Ridware, Hanbury, Harlaston, Haselour, Horninglow, Marchington, Marchington Woodlands, Mavesyn Ridware, Newborough, Oakley, Orgreave, Pipe Ridware, Rolleston, Streetly,
Stretton, Syerscote, Thorpe Constantine, Tatenhill, Tutbury, Wychnor,
Whittington and Yoxall.
Microfiche copies of electoral registers for East Staffordshire constituency
are available for the years 1868-1891.
Burton upon Trent Union Poor Law Institution (Workhouse) :
The register of births and deaths, 1837-1879, and the admission and
discharge register, c1879-1900, are available on microfilm.
The following local newspapers are available for consultation on microfilm:
Burton Times 1855-1890
Burton Weekly News 1856-1890
Burton Evening Gazette 1881-1887
Burton & Derby Gazette 1881-1887
Burton Observer 1898-1963
Burton Mail 1898-2008
Burton school log books which begin in 1889 or earlier are available on microfiche.
These give a daily account of school life and contain references to individual pupils and teachers.
Stafford Record Office
The Staffordshire and Stoke on Trent Archive Service holds a vast range of records relating to the history of the county of Staffordshire
The most important group of records for Family Historians is the Parish collections, 16th-21st centuries. These collections include records of baptism, marriage and burial; the building and maintenance of parish churches; community organisations and local charities; and the relief of poverty.
All the details of available sources can be found at www.staffordshire.gov.uk
Lichfield Record Office
The Lichfield Record Office forms part of the Staffordshire and Stoke on Trent Archive Service. It was established in 1959 under a joint scheme between Staffordshire County Council, the Diocese of Lichfield and Lichfield City Council, initially to act as the repository for the probate records of Lichfield Diocese, which date from the 16"' century to 1858. Following the transfer of probate jurisdiction to the civil courts in 1858, the probate records remained in Lichfield until 1928, when they were transferred to the Birmingham District Probate Registry. The decision, taken in the late 1950s, to move these records back to the administrative centre of the diocese, was made only after prolonged discussions. It acted as a catalyst for the establishment of the Record Office and brought into public custody one of the most outstanding resources for the study of family, social and economic history in the Midlands.
In 1990, the Record Office moved with Lichfield Library to The Friary, where new purpose built archive storage was provided, as well as a much larger search room to meet growing public demand for access to the diocesan records.
There is an index of recorded MIs for the following Churchyards: