Images of the Burton on Trent area, both past and present will be added to this page.
Any branch members who have suitable pictures (with a short description if possible) are asked to submit them for use on the site.
A News Item From 1947
- from 'Burton Observer', 13th November
33 YEARS VICAR OF ST.CHAD'S
Stained Glass Memorial Window to Rev. R. F. Way
Costing over £250, a stained-glass window, provided by the parishioners of St Chad's Church, Burton, in memory of their former Vicar, the Rev. R. F. Way was dedicated at that church on Saturday afternoon by the Bishop of Stafford (Rev. E. D. Hammond), in the presence of a large congregation.
Mr. Way was Vicar of St Chad's from 1906 to 1939, when he retired and went to reside in North Wales. Depicting the Good Shepherd, and treated on modern lines, the window, made by Messrs Morris and Co. Ltd, of Westminster, was unveiled by the Rev. Hilary Way, the late Mr. Way's son. The service was conducted by the present Vicar of St Chad's (Rev. T. Reeve) and Mr. H. A. Clark was at the organ.
Besides the Mayor and Mayoress of Burton (Councillor and Mrs. A. F. Whetton), friends and relatives of the late Mr. Way present included his widow, Mrs. J. Hardie (daughter), the Misses H. and M. Holford, Mrs. Wilkinson (who also represented Mr. J. Way, of Southsea, the late vicar's brother), Miss Overton (Sutton Coldfield), Mrs. Bax and Miss Henry (nieces), of Old Colwyn, the Revs. J. W. Ronayne and T. H. Brookes (former curates of St Chad's), Mrs Ronayne and Mrs. Brookes.
In his address, the Bishop said the late vicar was much beloved in the parish of St. Chad's, where his faithful ministry would long be remembered.
After referring to Mr. Way's early ministries at Walsall and Stoke, the Bishop said it was no surprise to the Diocesan Authorities to learn of the affection and love which had gathered around one who served so faithfully in the parish of St Chad's. Mr. Way's ministry was performed within the ordinary orbit of human gifts and powers and did not depend on propaganda or stunts. It was a ministry much deeper than that, and was true to the gospel which he preached.
Mr. T. Hall, the late Mr. Way's warden, was the chairman of the small committee responsible for raising the money to defray the cost of the window, the secretarial duties being carried out by Mr. H. T. Templeman, a lay reader for 30 years.
Mr. Hall, on behalf of the subscribers, asked Mr. Reeve to accept the window, and, having done so, Mr. Reeve committed it to the care of the churchwardens.
The Bass Worthington Bottle
The following newspaper cutting from the Burton Mail in October 2003 has been submitted by one of our members, Dennis Hale, together with other information from the same source.
Dennis's Uncle Percy drove the "Bass Worthington Bottle" while he was employed at Bass between 1955 and 1965.
From the mid 1920's to the mid 1950's pedestrians and motorists throughout the UK had stared with amazement at the sight of a 20ft beer bottle cruising around the country.
And they well might, for in that time, five 1922 vintage Daimlers had toured the British Isles in the guise of huge bottles of Bass and Worthington on wheels.
The Daimler bottles, which were finished in green, black and shining brass, and travelled cork first, were joined by a new contemporary style of base-first bottle.
Bass's 1956 version consisted of a fibreglass bottle, 33 times actual size, forming the cab and body of a vehicle based on a Seddon Mark7P bus chassis.
The entire construction of the vehicle, including the formation of the fibreglass bottle, was undertaken by Seddon Diesel Vehicles of Oldham, Lancashire. It was powered by a 4.7 litre Perkins diesel engine. The chassis, which was 21ft long, was covered by steel panelling and incoporated large rear-end lockers to hold alternative labels, making it possible to convert it into either a Bass or a Worthington bottle.
The outside of the chassis was finished in an ivory colour and was decorated with chrome bumpers and fittings. Rectangular advertising signs could be carried on the rear sides of the chassis panelling. A large interchangeable Bass or Worthington cork was attached to the tail of the vehicle.
The "Bass Red Triangle" was the first Registered Trade Mark in 1876 after the introduction of the Trade Mark Registration Act of 1875.
The Story of a Bank in Burton on Trent
The National Provincial Bank of England was opened at 159 High Street
in Burton on Trent on 15th February 1877
The forthcoming event was announced in the Express & Star on 10th February 1877
An Insurance Company and a Solicitors were using the upstairs premises in 1937 and other buildings had been erected on each side
This is the bank today - taken over by the National Westminster in 1968